The New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) would like to announce the appointment of the new General Manager for High Performance, Kiwi #686 Motu Tony.
Today, Tony begins his new role after stepping down from his recently appointed position as NZRL Independent Board Director to put his expertise to work on the organisation’s senior management team.
Motu Tony brings almost 20 years of experience in professional sport to the role. His playing career included 13 Tests for the Kiwis between 2001 and 2006 winning the 2005 Tri-Nations, alongside stints with the New Zealand Warriors and Super League’s Hull FC.
Of recent, he has attained board experience with Baseball New Zealand, the New Zealand Rugby Union ‘Navigating Two Worlds’ Advisory Panel, the Rugby Football League Disciplinary Review Panel Committee and Hull FC Super League Limited to name a few. In addition to this, he recently finished his term as the Acting Chief Executive Officer at Baseball New Zealand following a successful tenure as the General Manager of Football Operations at Hull FC Super League.
At Hull FC, Tony led their high performance programme which included the responsibilities of recruiting and retaining both players and staff, as well as the financial management of a live salary cap. Tony left Hull FC in 2017 to return to New Zealand after the club had won consecutive Challenge Clubs (2016 and 2017) and re-established itself as one of the premiere clubs in the Super League.
Greg Peters, Chief Executive of the NZRL is pleased to have someone of Motu Tony’s high-performance expertise joining his staff during this exciting period of reinvigoration for the organisation.
“He has almost 20 years of experience in sports leadership as an athlete, administrator and Director (both Executive and Non-Executive). The fact that he has also pulled on the Kiwis jersey is another feather in his cap and will provide insights from unique sides of the spectrum.
“I’m confident Motu will be a great addition to our team as we look to review the draft strategic plan,” Peters says.
The NZRL Board will be looking to identify a suitable replacement for Motu Tony on the Board with someone who has the requisite high performance experience.
2018 Interim Chief Executive Officer, Baseball New Zealand
2013-2017 General Manager of Football Operations, Hull FC Super League Limited
New Zealand Kiwis Rugby League 2001 – 2006
- 13 Tests
- Selection for UK Tours in 2002, 2004 and 2005
- 2005 Tri-nations Winner, 24-0 vs Australia. First time Kiwis had defeated Australia in a Test series in 50 years
- 2006 Tri-nations Grand Finalist
Professional Rugby League Player 2001 – 2012
- Wakefield Wildcats
- Hull FC Super League Limited
- Castleford Tigers Super League, Yorkshire, United Kingdom
- Brisbane Broncos, NRL, Australia
- New Zealand Warriors, NRL, New Zealand
- 2018 – Present Baseball New Zealand
- 2018 – Present New Zealand Rugby Union ‘Navigating Two Worlds’ Advisory Panel
- 2017 – Rugby Football League Disciplinary Review Panel Committee
- 2017 – Hull Rugby League Participation Committee
- 2016 -2017 – City of Hull Rugby League Academy Board of Directors
- 2014 -2017 – Hull Super League Limited Board of Directors