Rugby league is a sport for all New Zealanders, played from the grassroots level to the international stage. The sport is ‘More Than A Game’; it is part of our country’s social fabric and has a critical role in developing young men and women in our communities.
Through the ‘More Than A Game’ philosophy NZRL aspires to transform lives and community wellbeing through rugby league.
Underpinning this philosophy is ‘The Kiwi Way’ – our organisational ethos representing the culture instilled within all those involved in rugby league.
• We are diverse, we call New Zealand home and we are all Kiwis.
• We are inclusive, respectful and humble
• We are responsible
• We are innovative and courageous
• We are family first
• We live and play The Kiwi Way every day.
In 2019, NZRL developed a new strategic blueprint to take it forward to 2025. ‘More Than A Game’ is central to the new strategy.
• Rugby league enjoyed by more people
• A financially sustainable NZ Game
• Women’s game thriving and enhanced opportunities for women in the game
• Kiwis and Kiwi Ferns inspirational & aspirational
• NZRL to be a model modern sports organisation.
The Board comprises eight directors; four appointed, three elected and one permanent Director being the current Chair of Aotearoa New Zealand Māori Rugby League (ANZMRL). Of the seven appointed or elected Directors, at least three must be Independent Directors and three must be Rugby League Knowledgeable. A Board Appointments Panel, comprising of two independent Sport NZ representatives, an individual nominated from the Zones and a nominee of the NZRL Board, is convening this appointment process.
The Panel is seeking applicants for one Appointed (Independent) Director and one Elected Director vacancy. The incumbent Appointed Director is standing again for a second term.
All Board members need to: demonstrate governance knowledge and leadership, apply a futurefocused
mindset, understand confidentiality, contribute to highly functional board dynamics be able to
work collaboratively within a high trust environment and have an understanding and appreciation of Te
Tiriti o Waitangi.
The Board is continually seeking to appoint people who bring diversity of thought and perspective to
enhance board decision-making. Accordingly, the Board encourages applications from Women,
Tangata Whenua, Pasifika, Other ethnicities, Individuals with a disability, the LGBTIQ community and
Candidates who have the skill sets set out below and who can bring an element of diversity and strategic
thinking to the current board mix will be looked upon favourably by the Appointments Panel. At least
one of the Director’s selected through the process must be a women in order to meet Sport New
Zealand’s Board diversity requirements.
The desirable skill set and experience the Panel is looking for in the Appointed Director include:
Appointed Director (vacancy 1)
• Experienced Director, ideally with commercial board exposure
• Understanding of the New Zealand sport funding landscape/governance network
• Strong network potential linked possibly to commercial experience and/or other sporting
• Experience in fund raising through commercialisation of assets
• Connections to business and philanthropic networks
• Knowledge of high-performance sector
• Currency and connectivity to the wider sporting world. especially in high performance sport
The desirable skill set and experience the Panel is looking for in the Elected Director include:
Elected Director (vacancy 2)
• A connection with disability sports
• Zone, District, Affiliate or other Board governance experience is preferred
• A strong connection to the game of rugby league at an elite level, either through playing,
administration, management, coaching or other roles within the sport
• Connections within sport at a governance level
• Experience in strategic planning around sport
• Team focused with strong interpersonal and communication skills
Please note that applications for the Elected Director need to be supported by a nomination letter from
a NZRL member (Zone or Affiliate) and written acceptance of that nomination by the nominee.
Nomination letter templates are available if required.
Time commitment and term
As a guide, we expect an average time commitment around two days each month per Director. Full
day board meetings are held monthly in Auckland or via audio visual link.
We anticipate the roles starting immediately after the AGM which this year is being held on Saturday 24 June 2023. Terms are four years and directors are eligible for re-appointment for one further term.
Remuneration Directors fees are set at $10,000 per annum.
All applicants should be available for interview by Zoom during the week of 29 May 2023.
Applications for the Appointed Director vacancy should be emailed to: email@example.com please or apply online at www.appointbetterboards.co.nz.
Applications incorporating a Zone/ANZMRL nomination by way of completion of a Zone/ANZMRL nomination form should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org please or apply online at www.appointbetterboards.co.nz. Applications must be accompanied by the nominee’s full CV, his or her acceptance of the Zone/ANZMRL nomination in writing.
The closing date for applications is 5.00pm Friday 5 May 2023.