Rugby league is a sport for all New Zealanders, played from the grassroots level to the international stage. The sport is ‘more than a game’; it is part of the social fabric of our country and has a critical role in developing young men and women in our communities. 2019 sees a busy international calendar including the new Oceania Cup, Great Britain Rugby League Lions Tour, World Nines, games against Tonga and Australia and the Kiwi Ferns playing Fetu Samoa.
For more information on the organisation, please visit www.nzrl.co.nz
The NZRL Board plays a significant role in the organisation’s success, providing surety to stakeholders both within NZ and internationally. Since the Conference of League held in October 2018, NZRL has conducted a planning process to develop a new strategic blueprint to take it forward to 2025. This is nearing completion and will be rolled out in the coming months. The philosophy of More than a Game – Transforming lives and community wellbeing through Rugby League is central to the new strategy.
The Board comprises seven directors; four appointed and three elected. Of the seven there must be three Rugby League Knowledgeable and three independent directors. A Board Appointment Panel, comprising of two independent Sport NZ representatives, an individual nominated from the Zones and a nominee of the NZRL board, is convening this appointment process.
Interviews will be held in Penrose, Auckland on the morning and early afternoon of 28 May 2019.
The Panel is seeking applicants for one Appointed (Independent) Director vacancy and one Elected Director vacancy. Incumbents are standing again for both roles.
All board members need to understand confidentiality, work collaboratively, possess sound judgment, have good communication and be able to demonstrate leadership ability.
Candidates who have the skill sets set out below and who can bring an element of diversity, particularly gender, to the current board mix will be looked upon favourably by the Appointments Panel.
The skills the Panel is looking for in the Appointed Director includes:
- Experienced director with 5+ years governance experience on a commercial board
- Strong strategic thinker
- Established relationships with the ARLC/NRL as well as the wider International Rugby League community
- Strong financial background
- Previous experience on an Audit & Risk sub-committee
- Broadcasting and sports commercial experience
The skills the Panel is looking for in the Elected Director includes:
- Board (governance) experience – particularly with skills in strategic change
- Able to distinguish between the separate but complementary roles of governance and management, and the need to act in the best interests of the NZRL at all times
- A strong connection to the game of rugby league either through playing, administration, management, coaching or other roles within the sport.
- Zone or district board governance experience is preferred but not essential
- A strong and professional reputation in their business career
- Strong networks – linked possibly to commercial experience and/or other sporting organisations
Applications for the Elected Director need to be supported by a nomination letter from an NZRL member (Zone or Affiliate) and written acceptance of that nomination by the nominee. Nomination letter templates are available if required.
Time commitment and term
As a guide, we expect an average time commitment of 1 to 1.5 days each month per director. Full day board meetings are held monthly in Auckland.
We anticipate the roles starting immediately after the AGM on 30 June 2019. Terms are four years and directors are eligible for re-appointment for one further term.
Directors are paid $12,000 per annum.
All applicants must be available for interview in Penrose, Auckland on the morning/early afternoon of 28 May 2019.
To apply for this role please do so online at www.appointbetterboards.co.nz/APT13415 (brief registration required)
The closing date for applications is 5.00pm Thursday 16 May 2019.