JOB TITLE: NZRL New Zealand Resident 18s Schools Assistant Coach
HOURS OF WORK: This is a voluntary role that requires a commitment of some weekend work and a camp for the campaign.
APPOINTMENT TERM: One (1) year plus an additional one (1) year pending campaign review.
REPORT TO: General Manager of High Performance and National Coach Education Manager
New Zealand Rugby League:
Rugby league has played a significant part in New Zealand sport for over 100 years. Formed in 1910, New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) is the governing body for the sport of rugby league in New Zealand. With the recent COVID – 19 Pandemic, the New Zealand Border restrictions have hindered the opportunity for our NZRL New Zealand Resident teams to travel or invite international teams to play here. The New Zealand Schools team will be comprised of identified players from the Auckland Rugby League Secondary Schools competition as well as those who meet the age restrictions and are registered in full-time study.
New Zealand Rugby League goals:
• Rugby league enjoyed by more people
• A financially sustainable NZ Game
• Women’s game thriving and enhanced opportunities for women in the game
• Kiwis and Kiwi Ferns inspirational & aspirational
• NZRL to be a model modern sports organisation
Through our “More Than A Game” philosophy, NZRL aspires to transform lives and community wellbeing through Rugby League.
Underpinning this philosophy is The Kiwi Way.
We are diverse, we call New Zealand home, and therefore we are all Kiwis.
We are inclusive, respectful and humble
We are responsible
We are innovative and courageous
We are family first
We live and play The Kiwi Way every day
An NZRL Assistant Coach will perform their role with both professionalism and integrity while supporting the agreed direction for the campaign. They will support the Head Coach through the analysis of team strengths and areas to develop, that will contribute to the implementation of game strategies. An NZRL Assistant Coach is someone who has sound rugby league knowledge and can work collaboratively with the Head Coach to achieve successful outcomes. It is important to remember that this age group are making the transition from adolescents to adulthood, so a variety of coaching methods are essential to meet the needs of each player.
The Assistant Coach shall support and complement the Head Coach in achieving the following:
Thursday 5th – Sunday 8th November 2020; Auckland based
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
Skills and Qualifications:
• Senior Club Coach qualified, no earlier than 2015• Experience of coaching a representative team• Has had experience coaching in representative teams U18’s or above• The ability to plan and prioritise their own tasks and activities• Strong communication and organisation skills• Thorough knowledge of different coaching styles, approaches and techniques• A sound understanding of Rugby League at a National & International level (NZ)• Understand the characteristics and needs of the athletes being coached in relation to their current stage of rugby league developmentSunday 8th November 2020; Auckland
Planning and Reporting:• In consultation with the Head coach develop a pre-campaign training and team schedule• Prepare a report in NZRL prescribed format to be completed within the agreed deadline
Personal Attributes:• Highly motivated and determined• Consultative and collaborative• Are able to coach the Kiwi Way by possessing positive relational and performance character strengths• Team focused• Enables others to perform their roles to the best of their ability
• Assist in the development of the team schedule and undertake any set tasks associated with the team schedule in consultation with the Head Coach, NZRL and Team personnel• Advise and assist the Head Coach on cataloguing gear and equipment requirements specified in relation to training, conditioning and game day• Support delivery of football programme• Support and contribute with the Head Coach to ensure training sessions are well structured, and maximises the usage of time and resources available and provides drills and practices that enhance the player’s skill development and understanding of the game• In conjunction with the Head Coach provide regular, accurate and meaningful feedback to players on areas for improvement and monitors progress during the campaign• Develop and maintain relationships with all other members of the management team and NZRL staff• Participate in any research or data-gathering exercise requested by NZRL?
To register your interest for the above position, please email your Coaching C.V and a Cover Letter to the National Coach Education Manager (Dan Keepa) [email protected] no later than EOB Wedensday 21st October 2020.